Around 25% of browsers are filtering advertisments with an adblocker, this value is lower on mobile but increase rapidly. Within the content filtered are also included most of the analytics engine like the one proposed by Bing and Google. This means that the statistics and analyses performed with these tools are not totally accurate, the impact is not really on ratio which should be accurate even with 75% of the traffic, but impact is more on population since some user profiles are massively using adblocking systems.
Wouldn’t it be interesting to know how much visits on your site are not included in the analytics you observe?
This article details how to gather this number. You probably have already encountered some sites encouraging you to suppress you adblocking solution in order to read the content, this is not the approach here which focuses only on knowing the part of your readers who are using such system, regardless of the fact you may propose some ads on your pages.
To gather the statistics on the adblocker users, a specific content (not filtered) is loaded and you will be able to estimate statistics from your server log files.
The files used in this example are:
- test.html: the page that will be visited
- admsg.html: the file used as a tracker of filtered visit
You need to insert 2 specific parts:
- line 2: set a variable that estimates the browser is using an adblocker
If the browser uses an adblocker, the line 4 will not be executed
- line 1: set the variable back to false, if this script is executed, this means no adblocker is used on the browser
Since we would like to count the visit using adblocking system, let’s load a page on our site that will add a hit in our server log file. If you don’t have access to your log file, you are using multiple servers for load handling or are hosted in the cloud with no access to server logs, you will have to call an API that is able to store this hit in a specific back-end system.
At the end of the page:
- line 5: if browser has an adblocker, we get a specific page, here /admsg.html in order to get log on the web server
If you want a specific action, like modifying the content of your page for visits with adblocking system, you could use a callback of the specific tracker page load.
Here we change the content of a specific span zone (#adblocked) in the page by the content of the tracker page once loaded. This is performed asynchronously once the content of the page is loaded.
Adblocking is not a bad thing if your site is not relying on this kind of content, but knowing how much your visitors are using such tool can help you in your analytics. If you are proposing ads on some pages of your site, you will probably go for specific solution and add-on available on your CMS to perform specific action.
- Survey shows US ad-blocking usage is 40 percent on laptops, 15 percent on mobile
- Study: Rising Adblocking Rates In 2018 To Hit Publisher Revenues
- Is Ad Blocking 10% Higher Than Commonly Measured?
- Police de L’internet. Adblocker et le rôle qu’il joue dans la publicité en ligne
Photo John Westrock